Here are some tips that will help your project go smoothly:
1. Access. We start work at between 8:00 and 9:00 in the morning. We work until approximately 6:00 in the evening. Please make certain we have access to work in your home during these hours. We prefer to leave a lock box at the home when clients are not staying there. The key will remain in the lock box at your home but the crew will have access to work on the floor.
2. Preparation for Refinishing: For refinishing, everything must be cleared from the floor of the work area. You may move and replace your furnishings yourself or, we have a MOVING company that will move and replace as much or as little as you want. The cost is $99 per hour, with a two hour minimum. If you do not wish to move small, decorative items yourself, the movers will gladly take care of this for you. Obviously, the more they have to move, the longer it will take. $$$! We will cover your built-in shelving and cabinets with PLASTIC.
We do not remove the TOLIET or sink when we refinish the floors. We detail around them. We do remove vent covers and the kick plates on APPLIANCES when we refinish floors. These will be left off while the polyurethane dries. Please wait 24 hours after we finish to replace them. RUGS should remain off of the floor for at least 30 days after refinishing with an oil modified polyurethane, at least a week for water based polyurethane, and 36 hours for oil penetrating finish, like Rubio Monocoat.
3. Preparation for Installation: When we install PRE-FINISHED HARDWOOD FLOORING, we are able to move the large items as we work. This means one or two items per room. Please have all of the smaller furnishings and decorative items removed from the work area.
ACCLIMATION: Wood flooring needs to be placed in your home in advance of installation to adjust to the temperature and relative humidity of your home. The length of time required for acclimation depends on the mass of the wood. Solid, wide plank flooring needs to acclimate the longest, because it is the most unstable. Engineered flooring is the most stable flooring. It requires very little acclimation.
4. Safety: When we are working, clients need to stay clear of the work area. This is construction, and distractions can cause accidents. The flooring pros need to focus on your project. Please direct any questions about the process or the timeline to Laura at 678-768-4888.
5. Timing: Years of expirience have enabled us to streamline the process without compromising quality. Unfortunately, there are times when it takes longer than expected for the polyurethane to dry. Even though the floor is dry enough to walk on, if it is not dry enough to abrade to a fine powder, we cannot abrade and apply the next coat.
6. Scope of Work: Please do not make assumptions about what will be done. Every single thing that we do will be listed on the quote. If something is not on the quote, it will not be done. We will go over your quote with you to explain the process. If you want to add additional work, we need to add it to the quote, which we also use as the work order for your crew.
7. Hardwood Installation in Bathrooms: We are able to remove the TOILET and SINK from bathrooms when we install flooring. However, we recommend hiring a LICENSED PLUMBER for replacment of these fixtures.
8. Kitchens: No need to empty your REFRIDGERATOR. We leave the refridgerator plugged in when we are installing or refinishing. We move the fridge back and forth as we work. We do not move DISHWASHERS or other "built-in" appliances. We remove the kick plates and install and finish as far back as can been seen. Then, the kick plates are replaced. If you are having appliances delivered after your flooring is installed or finished, have the delivery crew or installers use RAM BOARD or some other thin floor protector. The weight of heavy appliances is concentrated on little wheels that will leave impressions in the flooring.
9. CHANGES or ADDITIONAL WORK: All work conducted in your home by our crew MUST be on your quote and must be put on a work order issued by us for your crew. On two occassions, clients have paid their crews for additional work that they did not contract through Daniels Floors. These crews were terminated, and the clients were billed an additional fee for these services. Please understand that all payments, with the exception of tips, must be made to Daniels Floors. This is a business that has expenses other than those related to your particular project.
10. Although we do our best to keep your home clean, you should know that all construction is messy and creates dust. You should replace your HVAC filters after having your flooring installed or refinished.
11. PAYMENT TERMS: For pre-finished flooring, we need the payment when the wood is ordered. For unfinished wood flooring, we need the payment when we deliver the flooring. The remainder of the quote is the labor and materials cost. One half of the labor and materials cost is due on the day work begins. The other half is due on the day the work is completed.
12. ACCLIMATION: Wood flooring needs to be placed in your home in advance of installation to adjust to the temperature and relative humidity of your home. The length of time required for acclimation depends on the mass of the wood. Solid, wide plank flooring needs to acclimate the longest, because it is the most unstable. Engineered flooring is the most stable flooring. It requires very little acclimation.